Thursday, September 15, 2011

Washing Tatoes

I like to get these kids out and about as often as possible. We all (Mommy included) behave better when we're not stuck in these 4 walls all day, everyday.   But I also want them to always know home is safe, and welcoming, and FUN. So when we're home, we make lots of messes, play with lots of toys, do lots of activities, make lots of crafts, watch lots of Dora (gag), etc. The busier we are, the happier we seem to be.
Today, however was a good reminder that we don't have to do much to have fun. Declan, Ruby & I went to Kids Spot with some friends while the big girls were at nursery school this morning, then we came home for lunch and naps. While the littles napped, Talia watched some Dora and then we worked on some letters together.

When Declan and Ruby woke up, I put some diapers in the wash and brought up some potatoes to get started on supper. Talia said "tan we hepp you wash dose tatoes?" It would have been easier, and faster, and a lot drier, to say no. But since Tal was a baby, we've involved her in the kitchen whenever we can. So I heaved a little sigh for the quick supper prep that almost was, and got Talia and Dirty Shirt Declan set up at the sink to wash dose tatoes.






They washed potatoes for about 1/2 an hour, squealing and giggling the entire time. They shared, and took turns, and were completely silly together. They got a little bit wet, they made a bit of a mess, but they had lots of fun and my potatoes have seriously never been so clean! We lost Declan's interest after the washing was done, but when I sliced the potatoes up, Talia dug in and tossed them around with some olive oil and seasonings, and put them on the cookie sheet for me. It was fantastic, since I hate getting my hands all oily, and she felt like such a big helper.  And sure, my little healthy eaters eventually turned their noses up at their hot dogs and fries in favour of fruit and peanut butter, but whatever. We had a good time getting it ready.


 It sort of freaks me out that Talia is already 3 - I remember tons of stuff from when I was 3!  What is she going to remember about our days at home?!? What will she remember about today? Will she remember that she was happy to see me when I picked her up from nursery school? Will she remember that I was frustrated and angry when she had an accident this afternoon? Will she remember how we giggled together, pretending to be frogs? I hope she remembers that she and her brother were welcome in our kitchen whenever they wanted to be there.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Nice. It's the small things that make the best memories.

I don't think you need to worry much about Talia remembering more bad than good. I know there is a lot more good than bad in your home! (Is that so corny that it makes you want to gag? If so, I apologize.)