Sunday, February 10, 2013

To Declan At Three



Declan Christopher. Has it really been three years already? I can't imagine not remembering every second of every day with you - but of course, we know that's not going to happen. So what do we need to remember about you at 3?

You have always been full of contradictions and unexpected surprises. You came along faster than we anticipated - your sister only had 19 months of being the baby - but they day you were actually born, we waited, and waited, and waited, and waited for you. You had enormous cheeks yet were so underweight by the time you were 6 months old. You could carry a conversation months before you could stand up and carry your own body weight. You are super shy and silent out of the house, but never stop talking at home. Dude, my ears are TIRED by the time you go to bed at night.

You are so easy-going and full of sunshine, I sometimes forget that when Ruby was born you started to scowl and didn't stop for 8 months. You are already more responsible than I am - every morning you get up, go potty, get yourself dressed with perfectly matching clothes, and then come and wake me up. You're the best alarm clock I've ever had.

We used to be good buds, you and I. But lately you've discovered the wonder that is Big Fun Daddy. Sigh. It was bound to happen, but I had you first. I try to remember that, and it does help when you squeal things like "Nooooooo! I want Daddy to wipe my bum!" So thanks for that, buddy.

You are so smart. Grammie is teaching your big sister to read right now but you keep piping up with all the answers. It's amazing to watch your mind work. When we can't find something, we ask you - you stare off into space for a second, and then you scamper off to find whatever we've lost. You're never wrong. Do you have a photographic memory? 

You are crazy, crazy, crazy for hockey. CRAZY. You are working hard at catching up in gross motor skills - you're great on the stairs, you love your scooter, you jump like a frog. You just went to the chiropractor for the first time and he seems to have helped you a lot already - I'm sorry we never thought to take you there sooner.

You are so sweet. When you really like your supper (which honestly, is pretty often) you look at me with your sweet little grin and chirp "thanks, Mom!" You are quick to look after your little sister and you worship your big sister. You think poop jokes are killer. Every night as soon as stories are over, you run to hide in your bed so Daddy and I can't find you for kisses. The giggling little lump under the covers is a great way to end the day.

Daddy is sad that tomorrow we will take your 3 year picture with your bear because you will really look like a big boy, and not a baby anymore. I didn't tell him that you never really were a baby, you were more like a very tiny, wise, old man who preferred a liquid diet. But it is hard to believe that you're so grown up. Off to nursery school in the fall, already looking forward to soccer, baseball, hockey..... I know we wanted you to hurry up and walk, but really, I take it all back. Slow down, buddy. Stay three for a little while.

Love,
Mom


1 comment:

TishaRie said...

Love it! What a great way to record the good stuff. Goes so fast...