Saturday, February 16, 2013

What's New Around Here

1. We had a lovely Valentine's Day. We actually went on 2 Valentine's dates last week - once to the Jets game, and once out for dinner on a double date with friends while the kids were at the Kids Spot babysitting night. Rainer got me a Pandora bracelet that was too big and pulled out my arm hair. I got him a chin-up bar that he didn't want - he'd apparently asked for push-up bars but I'm a terrible listener. Anyway, I've exchanged my bracelet for a smaller one and I love it, and he's decided that he might like a new chin-up bar after all, so I guess it wasn't a complete fail.

2. I may have the opportunity to go to a 0.6 EFT at work. Right now I'm at a 0.5, it would mean an extra day every other week. I can't decide if I want to or not. It would certainly take some stress off at work if I had a little extra time - but I really, really love my short week. 

3. I've been filling out lots of forms for the kids lately and they all annoy me when we get to the medical section. Why does gymnastics need my medical numbers? Why does nursery school need the kids' doctor's name and number? I work in healthcare, people. I know that if something serious ever happened, they will call an ambulance and then me. Nobody is going to refuse to treat the kids because they don't have their 9 digit PHIN on them. Even if they did call the doc, she doesn't have privileges at Children's and she would not be allowed to give out their health info anyway. So pointless.

4.  We've been half-heartedly potty training Woobs for a couple of weeks now. Grammie is with her during the week when I work and she is a fan of pull-ups, which I am not. So it's been slow going. But I think we've got it licked now - yesterday Woobs only had 1 accident and today she had none, in gitchies both days. (Of course, because I just bought a few tons of pull-ups at Costco and at Zellers' liquidation sale.) Can't believe my youngest is trained. Quick, somebody give me a baby right now.

5. As hard as it is to believe, it's been almost 17 years since I left GP for the big city. Once I left, I never lived at home again, even in the summers. So I've been living at least 4 hours from my parents for almost 20 years. But now they live close enough, they can do things like this:


Random drop-off of homemade cinnamon buns, still warm from Grammie's oven. Love it.


6. I'm on a bit of a self-imposed FB fast and I'm super productive because of it. I even steam mopped my floor and read 2 books this week. 

7. I'm taking a 6 week photography workshop soon. I'm pretty excited about straying from the point & shoot settings on my camera. More importantly, maybe they will give me tips about getting 3 preschoolers to look at the camera at the same time:


Valentine's flowers from Daddyo

 8. Declan had his 3 year appointment yesterday. He's slightly above average for both height and weight, prompting the doctor to declare him a giant for one of my kids. We had a great time celebrating his birthday last weekend, even though about 6 kids ended up not being able to come to the party. We had a small crowd that was like a regular Friday afternoon around here, he kept asking "When are da rest of my friends comin'?" LOL. But it was lots of fun anyway and he was totally spoiled.

9.  I've recently lost some weight. I'm phasing off my program now and had a huge, delicious, healthy breakfast this morning. I've felt enormous ever since. I think I might be crazy. In related news, it's time to get back to fitness class. Sigh. I wish napping and cupcakes were the healthiest things you could do for your body.

10. All this week, my hand and wrist have been killing me. I couldn't lift Ruby, I couldn't get the kids strapped into carseats, I couldn't lift plates out of the cupboards. I went to the chiropractor yesterday and he said it was sprained and dislocated. The adjustment was so painful - which is not the norm with this chiro - and it ached and throbbed all day, even though it was all taped up. This morning it was perfectly normal. I love the chiropractor.


2 comments:

Jaclyn and Devan Swallom said...

<3<3<3 your little ones! I sure wish we had an immersion school here. I think the closest ones are over an hour away.

Amanda said...

1. Kinda jealous - not of your hairy arms or bad gifts, but of two dates in one week!

2. I say no, but I'm all about not working.

3. I've wondered the same thing.

4. Way to go Rubes!!

6. I don't have the willpower.

9. :D

10. Chiropractors saved us.