Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My Son is a Weaner

I don't know how I forgot to mention this in my earlier post, but perhaps the most memorable thing that happened right before Christmas was that Declan has put an end to all this nursing business.

For 5 days straight, I tried to nurse that little guy, and he would stick out the tip of his little tongue like he was in deep concentration, push the boob away with both hands, shake his head "NO!" so vehemently I thought he would give himself whiplash, and struggle to sit up. On the fifth day he actually looked right at me and squealed "Nooooooooooooooo!" What a big boy. He's been on cow's milk in a sippy since he was 9 months old, so he didn't nurse that often anymore (morning and night only) but he's made the big break. We made it to almost 11 months. It's no secret that breastfeeding is my least favourite thing about this whole mothering gig, but I'm always sad when it's over. I'm especially sad with Declan, since I already feel that the next baby is pushing him out of his baby days faster than what is fair to him. :(

Anyway, since it is such a struggle for me to keep my supply up, after 5 days of refusal I just gave up trying, assuming there wouldn't be much milk left anyway. And I'm pretty sure I was right, since my poor pathetic boobs haven't seemed to notice that he stopped cold turkey.

I think the break from nursing will be nice. This pregnancy has been harder on me than the last 2 and I am just. so. tired. all the time, so hopefully now that Declan is no longer nursing my body will use this change to..... I don't know. Make me feel better in some way? Ah, well, it's almost March.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I'm pretty sure if my kids ever weaned themselves I'd be devastated. I love breastfeeding. I still feel bad that I weaned Gavin at a year so that I could go on vacation. He loved the boob. When he was so sick over Christmas, he was actually trying to nurse, and he's been weaned for 6 months!

I hope that you do get a chance to rest and that your body will be kind to you.