Monday, May 30, 2011

Snack Fail

This weekend our older kids were lucky enough to have a babysitter! She's the daughter of our daycare provider, so she knows the kids well and they really love her. Declan is her special boy, whenever I go pick them up he's always practicing walking with her and she carries him out to the stroller or van for me (which was a huge help when I was pregnant, let me tell you.)

When my brother and I were little, we were always excited to have a babysitter because that meant special treats for supper, like a TV Dinner. (Once we even had a can of ravioli!) And I totally used to sneak out of bed so I could share the chips & dip my parents had left the babysitter for a snack. So, I wanted to give our kids a little treat for their first supper with a babysitter, and I wanted to make sure we had some treats for the babysitter, too.

So I made a homemade pizza. (I used that new natural meat from Maple Leaf, have you tried it? No nitrites or nitrates or whatever it is that will give you cancer and stop your heart. Salt, sugar, celery extract, water. Delicious. But I digress.) I sent Rainer to the Esso to get some chips or something that a 12 year old girl might like. I was super smug with our awesome treats and was confident we were well on our way to being the babysitter's favourite family.

Before we left, the babysitter asked what the kids could drink for supper. I said milk or water, but that she could have whatever she wanted - not realizing that this actually meant milk, water, or almond milk. She asked "Do you guys have any pop?" and I realized we *might* not have thought about what normal people drink. While we were out for supper she called and asked if we had any ice cream or popcorn - we didn't. Ha. That's when I began to think we *might* not win her over with our awesome snacks, so the kids better be cute. SNACK FAIL!!!

So yesterday I went to pick up Talia from daycare and the girl who was our babysitter came out to the van to see Declan and Ruby as well, and her younger sister came along. I told the babysitter when we wanted her to come again, and this is the conversation that ensued:
Babysitter: What are we having for supper?
Me: Uh, I don't know, I haven't thought about it yet!
Babysitter: Let's have hotdogs! Does Deckie like hotdogs?
Me: I don't know, he's never had a hotdog.
Babysitter's younger sister (who comes home from school to have lunch with the daycare kids): He sure eats them like he likes them when he's here!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! So I guess Declan eats hotdogs at daycare, and I also guess our babysitter isn't the type to be impressed with a homemade pizza and a nice glass of almond milk. We're going to have to resort to letting her Pay-Per-View a movie next time if we have any chance of being her favourite family!!!!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Ok, I think this has to be about the funniest post I've ever read. Of anyone's!

You win!